Double Trouble

We have received the greatest gift we could possibly get. Not one, but two children to love.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Monday night

So I spent Monday night in the hospital and am now home from work for the rest of the week. I was uncomfortable all day on Monday. I felt like I had bad gas pains but had no gas and felt like I needed to go #2 even after I did and did not have to anymore. So I decided to call the ob after I came home from work and ate dinner. I was expecting him to tell me it was nothing. But instead he told me to go the hospital (the one I will be delivering at) to labor & delivery right away. I was really scared and freaked out but he and the hospital staff took great care of me. He told me to lie and say I was 20 weeks rather than 19 and that they would not know the difference anyway since I had ivf twins. He said if they knew I was less than 20 weeks they would send me to the emergency room and he did not want me to sit in there for ever and wanted me to be taken care of right away. He was at a different hospital with another patient that was delivering but he left them instructions about what to do with me and he was in contact with them the whole time calling the shots. So that was very comforting. When we got there they were expecting me and were so nice and took good care of me. They took all kinds of b/w and urine tests. They checked my cervix, which was long and closed, thank god. They also did a culture. Everything they took that came back while I was there came back normal. They hooked me up to an IV and a monitor and we also got another sono. Which is always nice. We actually got to see them both on the screen at the same time. We have not seen that in a long time, it was cool. They were moving around so much and interacting alot together. It was really cute. The monitor showed that I was indeed having mild contractions or "uterine activity" which they feel was due to the having twins and having fibroids combo. So they gave me meds and everytime it seemed to work and like they were going to just watch me and send me home soon, they would start up again. This went on well into the night, so I guess they finally decided to keep me overnight and see what the doctor said in the morning. I was never actually admitted, it was an outpatient thing still. I was in a private "holding room". Which was nice though. I was in a bed, dh had an ok for a hospital recliner and we had the tv and a bathroom. The nurse said it was a slow night for them, which was good because they were really taking good care of me and were so nice. On Tuesday morning my ob came to see me. Things were looking much better. He called the MFM on the cell (yes we were allowed to use cell phones in there! very strange!) to confirm his treatment plan for me. And he even handed me his because the MFM wanted to speak to me. It was all really nice and unexpected. Between both of them, they told me to go home, stay in bed yesterday, take the meds they were prescribing and stay home from work for the rest of the week. I will see the MFM today and the ob next week so that I will have an appointment every week. The ob feels that I will not be working for another 7-8 weeks as originally planned. He said I would be lucky if he let me work another 4-5 weeks. The ob does seem to be very conservative though, so I will see what the MFM says today about all that. And he also feels that since this happened so early, that it will probably happen again. This whole thing was really scary but I guess it went as well as it could have for what it was. And at least now we know kind what to expect if it does happen again. The discomfort I was having is totally gone now, so that is good. It is still so strange that I am even pregnant or having contractions. It is still hard to believe.

5 Comments:

At 8/23/2006 12:46 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

WOW crazyness. I'll keep it in prayer for you to keep them in there and not have any more contractions. I'm sure it will be hard financially leaving work early.

 
At 8/23/2006 12:51 PM , Blogger Tina / Anxious Changer said...

My goodness! You will certainly be in my prayers! Rest as much as you can - those babies are more important than work any day! You have great doctors - it is such a blessing to have them watching out for you.

 
At 8/26/2006 10:43 PM , Blogger Shelli said...

Oh my! Sweetie, I'm thinking good thoughts for you guys!

xox,
S

 
At 8/28/2006 8:50 AM , Blogger Amy said...

I'm glad the contractions stopped and that the docs in the hospital took good care of you. Lots of thoughts and prayers going your way for no more contractions.

 
At 9/03/2006 10:35 PM , Blogger Dana said...

Ilyse,
Glad the contractions stopped! It's going to sound nuts, but enjoy the bed rest. Those little ones are going to keep you (happily) very busy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home