Double Trouble

We have received the greatest gift we could possibly get. Not one, but two children to love.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

d & c......

What exactly does that mean? I know it stands for something but I can't remember it at the moment. What exactly occurs when you have one besides the fact that you get put out and when you wake up it is all done? Why am I asking all these questions? Because I am having one on April 7. Just a little kink in our IVF schedule that I am not thrilled about or the fact that I have to even have this. I went this morning for a saline sono, the 4th I think that I have had. They have always been normal but this time, they actually saw (and I did too) a "benign thing" (as the dr called it) on the top of my uterus. It is a very small growth or polyup that is so small that he almost missed it. He said that he has seen people get pregnant with that in the same spot and if I were a first time IVFer that he would say to leave it and that it is no problem. BUT being that he knows me, he said that he knew I wouldn't sleep at night and that if for some reason this IVF didn't work, I would always be asking if this was why, that he would recommend a d & c. And when I asked him what he would do if it were his wife and he said that he would tell her to do it, I decided that I needed to also. I am trying to look at it as a good thing. I mean better they saw this now where there is no health risk to me rather than have it get bigger and then there could be. And it could be good because my uterus will be like brand new, ready for embryos to implant. So like I said that this will be on April 7, which is the wedding anniversary of a really wonderful couple. And if I heard him correctly about when we can start up meds again and stuff, the retrieval may possibly fall on our 5th wedding anniversary or Greek Orthodox Easter (D is Greek Orthodox). So I have to take all this as a good thing and as an omen that good things are coming for us.

3 Comments:

At 3/21/2006 9:22 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Ilyse, we already spoke about this - I'm so sorry and it really really sucks for something to get in the way but I guess it's good that they found it though. And I'm hoping it was 'meant to be' this way. Yep April 7th is a great day, hehe thanks for calling us a wonderful couple - oh and it is my brother's birthday too *yep I got married on my bro's bday!*

 
At 3/21/2006 10:46 PM , Blogger S said...

Hey-

D&C stands for dilation and curettage-basically, they put you out, dilate your cervix, and slip in a thin instrument to scrape the little fucker out. And it's true-if they totally scrape your endometrial lining out, you'll be able to start from scratch with your lining, so to speak.....

I had one done when I had my hysteroscopy done, and it wasn't bad-the best part was that they gave me good drugs and I slept like a baby. I hope it all goes well for you, and you can be on your way....

 
At 3/24/2006 8:52 PM , Blogger cat said...

*hug* I'm sorry you have to go through this. D&C's are not fun but if it helps then so be it. May it be quick and you be very knocked out on the drugs.

Will be sending you many good wishes and hoping that this is a very good omen indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home